nourish. slow down. relax. balance. love. wholeness is not perfection.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

citrus & avocado salad with heavenly maple-garlic oat & pine nut croutons + plain yogurt



my mom always made us kiddos this salad growing up with butter lettuce, supremed grapefruit & oranges with avocado chunks and her homemade ranch dressing. it was one of the few salads that alllll the kids would actually eat! we loved it. 




so, here is a yummy take on that same childhood favorite with an added delicious must-have:




the sweet & savory granola crisps-or mapley garlic oat & pine nut croutons. yes. they're divine. I sometimes enjoy this with unsweetened homemade almond milk just as I would granola but I often find myself munching on it plain until it is gone!


I enjoy the salad dressed in only the juices of the citrus, then a small side of yogurt to eat with it (i am a big fan of plain sheep yogurt-easy for my body to digest, or unsweetened coconut yogurt). but your favorite homemade ranch dressing would also be divine.


"croutons":
1 c gf sprouted rolled oats
1/2 c shredded coconut
1/4 c pine nuts
1/4 c sunflower seeds
6 freshly minced garlic cloves
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 t black pepper

-preheat oven to 350F.
-mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. then mix in:
5 T melted coconut oil
1/4 c pure maple syrup (grade B)
-mix until combined. spread evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet and pop in oven for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden on top. cool, break up into clusters and top salad. save the leftovers in a mason jar for yummy snackin'!


for the pretty salad:
chopped romaine/butter lettuce
supremed oranges & grapefruit (don't know what supreme is? learn how here. I slice them over the lettuce & squeeze out any extra juice left on the rind for a little "dressing")
avocado chunks
croutons from above
homemade ranch dressing or healthy unsweetened yogurt to serve




ps. I love almost all of REBBL brand drinks-but especially this one. I usually make my own golden milk but this one is so great on the go with all good ingredients. and I just discovered it tastes amazing poured over the "croutons"/granola above. yep. breakfast of champs!



No comments:

Post a Comment